Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Very Welcome Break with My Chickens

After my kids spent a few days with grandma and I had a chance to finish watching all the On-Demand movie choices while I worked on my order, we decided to go on a little outing with them.  I feel very lucky to have people around me that can help me out in a pinch while I work, and many times after it is all said and done, I feel a little guilty.  Guilty for not spending time with my kids all those days!  Right now, they are at such a young age and I have been told that it goes by in a flash.  So while I DO want to grow my business and be successful (it is mostly for them, after all), I also want to be as present and involved as possible.  Don't we all?  So on long, continuous work days like last week, we like to crank it up a notch with family fun.

Usually it's Korean BBQ and ice cream afterwards, but this weekend it's the farm!

We went to a lovely little gem of a place in Ontario called Amy's Farm.  It is a 'polycultural farm' that raises both plant and animal species, which, as they say on their site, promotes the importance of interdependence and a more natural way of sustainability.  In layman's terms, they have cows, rabbits, chickens, horses, sheep, pigs, goats, as well as a large organic vegetable/herb garden and a farmstand where patrons can buy in bulk (BTW, their herbs are free).  You can even become a member and buy weekly supplies of veggies in season.  Buy locally, see first hand what happenes on a working farm, and let your kids experience what healthy, wholesome living is all about!


Beautifully colorful blooms were planted everywhere

One of the many cats at the farm (and the kids' highlight of the day)


Feeding the goats at the petting zoo

Various hues of green abound in their garden

A picnic area for school tours

Colorful radishes ready to be taken home

Buying fresh vegetables at their farmstand






Meet Tina, the 80 year-old cow!


Being useful in the field




See you next time!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment